Art Bites

Search This Blog

A collection of articles, art and artists we admire and appreciate.

Samuel Gillis


When I was 22 I had a drug induced psychotic break. Reality stopped having any meaning and for a few days there, I felt like everything I’d been experiencing in my life until that moment suddenly came rushing out in vividly artistic psychedelic animations. When I sank back into consciousness, I was surprised to find out my “real” world no longer existed. I had to rebuild. From scratch. So I made a painting. And then another one. And another one. And slowly but surely, a new world emerged.
My paintings are the way I create my world. I live something and then I paint about it. Or I paint something and then I live it. I’ve created thousands of pieces. And each one corresponds to a part of my self and my experience that I can only express through a painting.
I’m classically trained and appreciate the foundation that gave me to explore my insider roots to teach myself new techniques. The broad range I’ve been able to master lets me create in virtually any style from 17th Century Renaissance to Verdaccio to modern, landscape, still life, figurative or realism.
I create on anything I can find. Cardboard, canvas, doors. If there’s paint and something to paint on I create. Often, I don’t even use a brush. I’ll grab a business card or a popsicle stick and get to painting. My goal as an artist is to create without judgment and let everyone see whatever they see in my work. Because art, like life, is just a matter of perception.

Biography
Samuel Gillis was born with a crayon in his hand and has been making art ever since. His early exposure included cartooning which developed into an avid interest into developing a formal education in fine art. Sam’s stint at Columbia College Chicago led to a meeting with noted fine art painter Eddwin Meyers who offered him the opportunity to be classically trained in an environment with great creative freedom at The Atelier Alternative.
Gillis is a prolific artist whose work has been featured in museums and exhibitions around the world including the National Museum of Mexican Art, John G. Shedd Aquarium and River East Art Center. As well, Sam’s paintings are part of international collections including in Spain, Italy, New York, Guatemala and San Francisco. And he has been featured in television, movies and publications nationwide.
Sam is a passionate private collector and supporter of global initiatives to creating more art and a better world. As such, he is a frequent donator to organizations including Y-Me Breast Cancer Awareness, Thresholds, Tree House Foundation, Chicago Food Pantry, Children’s Memorial Hospital and the Make A Wish Foundation. Gillis founded Gallery Swarm in Chicago, Illinois where he lives and paints.