Art Bites

Search This Blog

A collection of articles, art and artists we admire and appreciate.

Jeff Kolak

 


 

To have an image look into you, as much as you look into it, is my goal as I create an image. I want you to lock eyes with the character in the piece and feel what it is he or she maybe feeling and create a story, a world even, in your mind.

There is a goal to keep a person looking. Good characters in a piece draw a viewer in. As does an incredible amount of detail, design, and imagery.

-Paintings-
Using a specific technique of oil painting, I aim to create images that have a life like quality. Subjects in the paintings usually portait a connection to mortality, stress, and loss of control. Its that loss of control that creates a certain side of us, a side of us that has been defeated. Its that side that either goes on auto-pilot or goes mad.

Masks are an important part of culture and psychology. They can be a literal mask and/or psychological mask. I like to explore both through my art.


-Ink Drawings-
Developed over years of doodling on the back of notebooks and in the margins of my notes during class, these pen drawings have become much more than doodles. Time and detail is not sacrified as order and chaos is created. Lines come together and form waves and fields as small independent ideas float on top. For the most part these small independent ideas are a stream of consciousnous and reflect the mind that is creating it. These drawings are my strange view of the world with a lot of design added to it.